Monday 11 February 2008

Apartheid through the eyes of a 10 year old

Last night I asked my Daddy what apartheid was, he told me it was the dark days. My daddy said it was the bad days. I asked daddy what it was like? Daddy said it was too terrible to mention. I decided to ask him some questions.

Daddy told me that in apartheid the roads were always fixed and any potholes that appeared were fixed quickly. I didn’t understand what was bad it about it as my Uncle’s taxi was deemed to not be roadworthy after he hit a pothole.

Daddy told me that there was lots of crime but it was safe compared to now…

Daddy told me that our education was envied around the world and we had some of the cleverest people in the world….

Daddy told me that 20 years ago people played for their country because they were good enough not because they were a different colour

Daddy told me that my friend would not have died drinking water 20 years ago and if he was sick they would fix him up

Daddy said that in apartheid it was cheap to go over the seas and far away

Daddy said that back in those days there weren’t electricity problems like today

Daddy said petrol was cheap

Daddy told me the that Nelson Mandela set the country free he is a great man who has ensured we live in a democrazy or something, daddy uses big words!!! Daddy may be right but I don’t think Mandela is happy with how things have turned out….

Daddy says Mandela handed over the best nation in the world, to all of us but now daddy is scared everyday after they did something called redistrubution of wealth by putting a gun to his head and taking all his money and car... Daddy wants to move from our home.

I dont understand how things are better do you?

No comments: